Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Eating Well, Eating for Health

Last night, I prepared dinner in a hurry. I had not planned my day well. I received a phone call from a friend who is undergoing a very serious life issue at the moment, and, rather than praying and surrendering my friend's situation to the Lord, I became distracted in mind. Fortunately, I had planned my meal ahead of time, so it didn't require much for me to prepare it.

My husband came home from work, and we prepared to eat. We needed to eat by a certain time so that we could arrive at a meeting on time. Wouldn't you know that I received a phone call from a second friend, this time about a serious issue concerning her darling child? This situation caused me to mourn for what the family is going through, although I have good hope that that God will work in the situation for the best. Again, I didn't take the time to pray and fully surrender my concern to the Lord. Instead, I unloaded these problems on my husband.

So, as I sat down to eat, I was ravenous, distracted, and conscious of our time limit. I ate too quickly. As we all know, if you eat quickly 1) you don't digest your food as well and 2) you will tend to overeat, as your brain does not have time to register satisfaction.

I don't know that you can always avoid interruptions of a serious nature at dinner time. We read in the gospels of a time when Jesus and the twelve were so busy healing people that they did not have time to eat. Likewise, when Jesus was tired and hungry, he took time out to speak to the Samaritan woman who came to draw water at the well. Serving the Lord and caring deeply about other people means that sometimes we will need to put the needs of the hurting ahead of our comfortable daily schedule. That includes our allotted meal times, as well.

However, I can look back at yesterday's situation and learn some lessons:

1) Even when you are on a tight schedule, always take at least a little time to pray about any burdens on your heart. Let the Lord comfort you if you are mourning. Hand over any worries to Him, as well.
2) It may not always be wise to eat in the grip of strong emotion. The body sometimes sends signals that it doesn't want the extra burden of digesting food in such moments. If you live in the U.S. or other developed countries, likely you have plenty of food. Missing one meal or eating only a small quantity of one meal is not going to harm you. If you are going somewhere, you can even take along a little snack in case you do become hungry later.
3) Always eat slowly. Again, just because you may be on shorter on time than usual, that doesn't mean you have to rush your food. Better to eat a little bit slowly than to gobble whole portions down.
4) I could have timed telling my husband about these problems after he finished his meal, so that he could eat in peace. These weren't situations that could be fixed in five minutes.
5) Maintaining a peaceful spirit makes for better digestion, for eating only what you need to keep your body going, and for health in general.

Thanks for reading.

Health to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment